Quote of the Month
“I like the way you call it a cold sore. Here at the chocolate factory, it’s just herpes.” Gene Wilder
Have you ever wondered whether there was a way to get rid of herpes?
Even if there wasn’t, wouldn’t it be cool if you could put it into remission?
The key is to figure out what triggers your outbreaks. Once you know the triggers, you can manage and prevent them. Also, the severity, frequency, and length of time it takes to heal depends on the strength of your immune system.
Here are a few things that can either help or hinder you….
Things that Help
- L-lysine containing foods (legumes, fish, turkey, chicken) or take a supplement
- Brightly coloured vegetables – high in Vitamin C and antioxidants to help strengthen immunity and heal skin
- Wild caught fish – very anti-inflammatory
- Clean protein – naturally or pasture raised or organic, but trust your sources
- Zinc – found in pumpkin seeds, spinach, grass feed beef; helps the body fight against pathogens
- Manuka honey – apply it directly on the sore at least 5 times a day. It has to be Manuka!
Things that hurt
- Sugar – suppresses your immune system; read your ingredients, you’ll find it everywhere!
- Alcohol – weakens your immunity, creates inflammation
- Processed/Packaged Food – contains genetically modified, inflammatory, immune suppressing ingredients
- Wheat – just plain bad for everyone and whole wheat is a scam along with most gluten free products
- L-arginine – can stimulate the herpes virus
- Poor sleep & Stress – the body can’t rest and repair weakening your immune system
Don’t reinfect yourself or others
- Use a separate towel or cloth to treat affected areas
- Replace your toothbrush after infection
- Don’t share forks, spoons, drinks, etc
- No kissing or intimate relations (depending on the area affected)
- Wash hands before and after you touch the area
- Be careful how you handle money and other dirty objects as they may be contaminated
- Don’t use anything that may irritate active sores – vaseline, citrus for example
Don’t forget some supplements
- L-lysine -3,000 milligrams daily
- 1,000 mg Vitamin C daily
- 60 mg zinc daily
- B vitamins to help with stress
- Echinacea, garlic, astragalus and licorice root
What we can do to help
- In 2 visits we can strengthen your immune system
- In 1 visit we can use our needle free acupuncture allergy relief technique to help your body protect itself from the virus
Did You Know
- 776,000 people are infected with herpes per year according to the CDC
- Herpes is caused by the herpes simplex type 1 (HSV-1) or type 2 virus (HSV-2)
- Essential oils like clove, tea tree and myrrh applied sparingly (or diluted in coconut oil for sensitive skin) a few times a day can be be helpful. Use a q-tip to gently dab the oil onto the sore
- If you’re into essential oils, check out these pure products from Fresh From The Earth Body Care
- If you’re into yoga, check out our daughter at www.kianangyoga.com