Quote of the Month
“People are fed by the FOOD industry, which pays no attention to HEALTH…
And are treated by the HEALTH industry, which pays no attention to FOOD…” Wendell Berry
Hippocrates is famous for saying “All disease begins in the gut”. In fact, if you have any of these issues, then chances are you have something called leaky gut:
- Food allergies or food sensitivities
- Autoimmune disorders, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome or lupus
- Poor digestion, bloating, gas, constipation, loose stools, heartburn and nutrient malabsorption
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), including, IBS Crohn’s or colitis
- Thyroid issues such as hypothyroidism, Hashimotos thyroiditis or Graves disease
- Adrenal fatigue, candida and slow metabolism
- Mood disorders, including anxiety, depression and autism
- Chronic pain in joints and muscles, including arthritis and headaches
- Skin problems, including eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, acne and age spots
Leaky gut affects 80-90% of people. It really is the root cause of many diseases today…
Your gut has an important job. It keeps out the bad guys while trying to let in the good (eg. nutrients). In fact, the total surface area of your small intestine is actually the size of a tennis court and it’s only 1 cell thick! When this layer becomes damaged, it becomes very easy for bugs and toxins to enter your body. For example, if you were to picture this cell layer as a single sheet of paper towel and someone kept spraying water over it, eventually it would leak.
Here are 3 things that cause leaky gut:
- Too many medications
- Parasites, bacteria, yeast/candida
- A diet high in sugar and processed foods, low in fiber
So, now that you know you probably have leaky gut, here’s what you can do:
- Make a choice -> eat real food! If you won’t, you may as well stop reading here.
- Take enzymes, probiotics, curcumin, glutamine, omega-3s and other ‘gut healers’
- Avoid YOUR problematic foods (this can be unique for everyone)…
For instance anything that you consume that your body “doesn’t” like will create inflammation OR worsen any existing inflammation. According to Heather Morgan ‘Every time you eat or drink, you are either feeding disease or fighting it’ – especially if you’re not noticing or paying attention to any of the subtle signs and symptoms your body is giving you!
You can get scratch tests or blood work done to determine your allergies/sensitivities, but to be completely honest, we’ve had many people come in saying that ‘a food they know they have an issue with came back negative with those tests’. This is because the specific antibodies they are testing, may NOT be the ones involved in their reaction.
Our method of testing is slightly different and we invite you come for a free consultation to learn more (it’s simply too difficult to explain here).
Did You Know
- Your gut is made of over 500 types of bugs and 3 lbs of bacteria
- Stress of any kind will harm your gut!
- After 5 days on antibiotics, your gut bacteria will be destroyed and can take years to come back
- You can learn more from this awesome book called “Eat Dirt” by Dr Axe – really worth it.