Acupuncture vs Lemonade
Quote of the Month
“I’m glad it’s finally hot enough to complain about how hot it is”
This summer has been very hot!
When it’s hot and humid outside many people can end up with heat stroke.
Heat stroke manifests with the following symptoms:
- red face
- excessive sweating
- body heat
- dry mouth and throat
- loss of appetite
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, this would be diagnosed as ‘Summer Heat’.
In Chinese Medicine, there are certain foods that help to cool summer heat and hydrate the body.
Here are some obvious (and not so obvious) examples!
- watermelon (including the rind and seeds), lemon, lime, apples
- warm tea made of mint or chrysanthemum – the warmth helps you sweat, when the sweat evaporates you cool down.
- Fresh ginger, cayenne, hot red/green peppers (all in moderation) also help to bring heat to the exterior of the body where it can be released
Having said all this, I have a great refreshing drink that will hopefully help cool you off!
I was at Costco the other day and Vitamix was there doing a demo. Vitamix is the best blender – the 2 hp motor helps you make soup in minutes, puree without chunks, make your own nut butter and grind your own flour.
Anyways, they were demonstrating a Strawberry Lemonade recipe that they so graciously gave to me and I’d love to pass it on to you….
- 2 cups ice
- 4 frozen strawberries or raspberries
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or to taste
- 1 organic lemon, peeled, keeping 1 inch of rind, cut in half
- 3 cups cold water
Put all ingredients into the vitamix and blend to your desired consistency. Yum! If you want to make it more Chinese Medicine friendly, just use room temperature water, fresh strawberries and a sprig of mint.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!