189 Hammersmith Court
Burlington, ON, L7L 4N4



[Allergy Q&A]

Allergy Q&A

Quote of the Month
“I have just discovered that I have terrible food allergies…everything I eat makes my butt swell!”
We always get asked the same questions over and over with respect to allergies, so we thought we’d review some of them this month.  Here it goes…
You say I am sensitive to X, I’ve tried not eating it or exposing myself to it, but it didn’t make any difference, why? Usually this is the result of a person being sensitive to more than one thing. If your body is reacting in a similar way to x, y and z then just addressing X won’t address 100% of the symptoms.  Example, if someone has eczema and they eliminate wheat, but they still also consume dairy and react to dairy then the eczema won’t go away 100%.  It might not even go away 50%.
You say I’m sensitive to x, but I don’t notice anything when I eat it, are you wrong? Everyone has their own point of ‘overload’  Lets say, unbenounced to you, you have an issue with wheat, dairy, oranges and strawberries,  but you don’t notice any symptoms (meanwhile your body is trying to quietly deal with them everytime you eat them).  Along comes pollen season and you start reacting to the tree pollen.  You think that only the tree pollen is the issue, when in reality it is the final trigger that throws your body into ‘overload’.  You see, each substance you have an issue with will trigger both a stress and inflammatory response within the body.  Your body can only handle so much before it loses control….make sense?  As the old saying goes, “the absense of symptoms does not imply health!”
How soon will I have a reaction after eating something I’m sensitive to? Someone can react within seconds after ingestion or up to three or four days later.
I’ve bought a non-allergenic product, so I can’t be reacting to that, right?  Unfortunately just because something is organic, or supposedly hypo-allergenic, it doesn’t mean it’s safe for ‘you’. There is no such thing as a 100% safe food or product. There are some that are less likely to be a problem than others but someone could be fine with MSG and not fine with black pepper.
Sometimes I can eat X OK, and sometimes it gives me a reaction. Why’s that?  There are several possibilities. It could be that you’re not really allergic to X but you are to a pesticide that’s often used on it – you’d only react when it had been sprayed with that pesticide. Similarly some people react to food mold.  Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there.  For example when I eat blueberries with a particular pesticide on them I will be in the bathroom in 15 minutes.
What’s the difference between allergy and intolerance and sensitivity?  Medically speaking, an allergy involves a immune system response.  An intolerance may or may not.  A sensitivity is more of a catch-all phrase that includes both types of responses.  Note that tolerance levels aren’t fixed. They go up and down according to how stressed you are. In other words, this will also be the reason why sometimes you react to something and sometimes you do not.
The doctor’s test doesn’t agree with your testing. Who’s right?  There can be false positives and false negatives with the scratch test.  This is because some reactions don’t involve the antibody that they are testing (IgE).  It may be a different antibody or perhaps the immune system may not be involved with that particular reaction.
You say I’m sensitive to X, but I always feel better when I eat it, so I must be fine with x?  Many people will have an issue with a substance they are addicted to.  If you don’t eat it, you will have withdrawal symptoms.  When you eat it again, you’ll feel better because you’re associating the food with the good feeling.  This is the same response a person who is addicted to alcohol or drugs would have!
I’m reacting to X. Will I have to avoid it for ever?  We have a procedure that helps the body to rebalance itself for x. Check out our method to see how it works.  The substance should only require 1 session 80% of the time and it should be permanent. If you are not responding to our procedure or if the procedure does not hold, it’s often due to the level of toxicity in
your body.  In these types of situations we often recommend some gentle cleansing/detoxification in order to restore some level of proper cellular communication.
Why have I developed allergies?  There are so many reasons we develop allergies or sensitivities. It comes from eating nutrient deficient foods, from consuming pesticide/herbicide laden foods, pollution, WiFi, an
accumulation of stress, family history, traumatic events in life, infections, vaccinations, etc.  It really comes down to anything and everything that contributes to overloading your body to the point where it can no longer function properly.
I get side effects to my medication, can you help with that?  In my experience a lot of side effects are actually allergic reactions, so we may be able to help.
Are allergies on the increase?  Yes they are.  This ties back to our response to ‘why have I developed allergies?’ above.   It’s also very important to note that the more stressed you are, the more susceptible you are to everything.  You may not think you’re stressed, but the very fact that you have symptoms indicates otherwise.  We’re also sooo used to being stressed that we don’t feel it…it becomes our new normal state of being…understand?
Well, we covered a lot of questions…hope you found it useful.  If you have any more questions, just email us at