Are You In Fight Or Flight Mode?
Quote of the Month
“All I want for Christmas is a cortisol monitor”
Everyone is rushing to work, rushing home, rushing to take their kids to/from activities, cooking in a rush, eating in a rush…makes me tired just thinking about it. The approaching holiday season takes it to a whole new level – entertaining and gift shopping.
Lets look at it another way…
Imagine you’re being chased by a hunter. At first you have an immediate fight or flight response. Now what if you were being stalked and chased day after day, week after week, for years without any relief…this is how most of us are living in modern society right now. Herein lies the problem…we are so used to being in this state, that we think it’s ‘normal’. This is not normal. This chronic ‘stress’ is not normal, it’s just that we’re all experiencing it. This ‘chronic stress’ is known as adrenal fatigue.
Do you have any of the following symptoms?
- Morning Fatigue
- Lack of Energy
- High or Low Blood Pressure
- Waking in the middle of the night
- Dizziness – especially upon standing
- Afternoon lows
- Weight gain
- Inability to concentrate
- Dry skin
- Joint pain
- Low blood sugar
- Asthma, allergies or respiratory issues
- Fatigue an hour after exercising
- Headaches after exercising
- Clenching your teeth
- Crave salty foods
If so, then you may have found one of the root causes of your health issues.
Here’s some of the things that are essential for you to do if you truly want to heal:
- Avoid sugar, alcohol, white flour
- Avoid foods you’re addicted or sensitive to
- Don’t Skip breakfast
- Eat seaweed such as nori
- Drink fermented foods such as Kombucha to heal your gut
- Make your own bone broth – full of nutrients
- Stop Overdoing it
- Avoid stimulants such as coffee, pop, caffeine
- Stop Over exercising
- Take the time to laugh
- Eat real food without bar codes
- Supplement with an adrenal support product (we have one that everyone responds well to) – support is essential here.
- Be in bed by 10pm
- Journal your day
Just a quick note here, adrenals will not heal in 1-2 months. More than likely the adrenals will need anywhere from 6 months to 2 years (depending on your severity).
If you would like to find out if you’re adrenals are fatigued, you can find a great quiz on this website: https://www.adrenalfatigue.org/take-the-adrenal-fatigue-quiz
In the meantime, here’s an awesome soup recipe for you to enjoy over the holidays:
Coconut Curry Squash Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch of black pepper to taste
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup peeled, sliced carrots
- 1 peeled, corred apple
- 1 peeled, cubed roasted sweet potato (bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or if you’e lazy, just cook it with the rest of your soup)
- 1 cup real coconut milk (added at the end)
- Saute onions, garlic, and ginger in coconut oil until soft
- Add Cumin, curry and saute for 1 minute
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes
- Puree all ingredients using a hand blender.
- Add coconut milk.
- Serve and enjoy…yum.
Talk to you in the new year!