Do I Have a Salicylate Sensitivity?
Quote of the Month:
If diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. If diet is correct, medicine is of no need. ~Ancient Ayurvedic proverb
Do you experience any one of the following 13 Symptoms:
- Itchy skin, hives or Rashes
- Stomach pain/upset stomach
- Swelling of eyelids, face and lips
- Aching Muscles and joints
- Mouth Ulcers or raw hot red rash around mouth
- Brain fog
- Poor memory
- Behavioral problems
- …and the list does go on and on….
If so, you may have an issue with Salicylates!
But, what the heck are Salicylates? Salicylates are chemicals that occur naturally in many plants – they’re a kind of natural pesticide – to protect the plants against insects and diseases. Salicylates are just one group of the hundreds of compounds in foods that can have varying effects on us, depending on howmuch we eat and how sensitive we are. Salicylates are found in foods from plants: most fruit, some vegetables, herbs, spices, tea and flavour additives.
Salicylates are at their highest in firm unripe fruit and lowest when ripe fruit is ready todrop off the plant and also at their highest in the skin zone (skin and just under the skin).
Did You Know?
- Salicylates are increased in genetically engineered (GMO) plants in order to create greater resistance to disease
- Salicylates are made in laboratories for medications. Aspirin – is the best known one!
- Salicylates are also found in medications, fragrances, industrial chemicals, plastics and some pesticides, and can cause adverse effects when inhaled as well as eaten. Here are some examples: toothpaste, teething gel, medicated lotions, perfumed products, cleaners, air fresheners, petrol
Important News and Upcoming Events
- We’ve seen baby ragweed…it’s starting to grow…that’s 1 month early folks!!
- Acupuncture is being regulated in Ontario as of April 1 2013. The TCTCMPAO (the new regulatory college) has had our applications since that date. The process was to be 4-6 weeks, but due to the volume of applicants, we’re hoping for the end of July to have our new registration numbers.
- We have just begun to use an online appointment booking system. This will provide you with the ability to book your own appointments with us through our website. You will also receive automatic confirmations and reminders via email!
- Bi-weekly – Business Referral Lunch Business Networking 11:45am until 1pm every other Monday; Golden Griddle @ Walkers and Harvester; Next meeting date: Monday July 8 2013. Check out www.businessreferrallunch.com
- Bi-weekly – OBN Business Networking 9:30am until 11am every other Friday; The Hamptons at the Quality Inn Bronte and QEW. Next meeting date: Friday July 12th.
By No Allergies Please