Quote of the Month
“I wait ages for the weather to get better and when summer gets here, I’m allergic to it”
Most of the time, it’s Ragweed — a yellow-flowering weed found along highways, vacant lots and fields. Just one plant can release 1 Billion (1,000,000,000) pollen grains. You may think it’s helpful to mow the grass behind your home, or to pluck the ragweed from around your home, but it won’t do you any good. The pollen can travel up to 650 kilometers!
What makes it worse, is that many of these weeds are now glyphosate resistant! (“Glyphosate” is the chemical name for the active ingredient in Roundup). You may be wondering what this means? In simplified terms, Roundup and other herbicides are no longer working because the plants have adapted. As a matter of fact, I know of 2 specific neighbours who have destroyed their lawns while trying to kill the weeds…the weeds survived, but their grass didn’t…lol.
- Molds – they’re out in full force; especially with this hot and humid summer. I can tell because of the mushrooms…many I’ve never seen before. Molds are in the soil, in the grass, under leaves and in other damp places.
- Trees – believe it or not, there are also some trees and grasses that will start to pollinate soon (yes, in the fall). They include:
- fountain grass
- wild mustard
- Other weeds – amaranth, dock, cockle weed, mugwort, sagebrush, pigweed and tumbleweed also come out in the fall.
Herbs that may help your symptoms, but you need to start taking them a month or so before allergy season:
- Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum)
- Astragalus (Astragalus propinquus, syn A. membranaceus)
- Horehound (Marrubium vulgare)
- Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica)
- Goldenrod (Solidago spp.)
- Mullein Leaf (Verbascum thapsus)
I do have access to these herbs or herbal combinations. Come on in and I can see which may work the best for you.
September 23rd I’ll be at the Bronte Vegan Health Fair. Come stop by and I’ll be able show you how I can help. Plus they have some awesome vendors and amazing vegetarian food samples for all! You even get the recipes!