Poem and a Recipe
For this month’s newsletter we thought we would keep things simple since we know you have a busy schedule with summer vacation and school ending. Here we have a poem by the Dalai Lama and a recipe from our new cookbook which will be available for purchase soon. Enjoy!
The Paradox of our Age
We have bigger houses but smaller families;
more conveniences, but less time;
We have more degrees, but less sense;
more knowledge, but less judgement;
more experts, but more problems;
more medicines, but less healthiness;
We’ve been all the way to the moon and back,
but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbour.
We build more computers to hold more information than ever,
but have less communication;
We have become long on quantity,
but short on quality.
These are times of fast foods
but slow digestion;
Tall men but short character;
Steep profits but shallow relationships.
It’s a time when there is much in the window,
but nothing in the room.
H.H. The XIV Dalai Lama
Raspberry Vanilla-Almond Granola
Here’s the recipe were were talking about.
– 4 cups fresh raspberries
– 2 cups sunflower seeds, soaked 8-12 hours
– 3 cups pecans, soaked 8-12 hours
– 6 cups almonds, soaked 8-12 hours
– 1 ½ cup maple syrup
– ½ cup dates, chopped
– 2 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
– 1 ½ tbsp. vanilla extract
– 1 tbsp. almond extract
– 1 ½ tbsp. sea salt
– 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Place raspberries and sunflower seeds in a large bowl;
set aside. Process pecans and almonds in food processor until chunky; do not
over process. Add to raspberries and sunflower seeds.
- Process all other ingredients in food processor until chunky;
do not over process. Add to bowl and mix until ingredients are well combined.
Crumble evenly over dehydrator sheets. Dehydrate 48 hours at 105 degrees or until crisp.
– Summer Solstice Show, June 25, Burlington
– Canada Day Festival, July 1st, Spencer Smith Park
– Childrens Festival, August 21st, Spencer Smith Park
– Wholistic Family Fair, September 25th, Mississauga
– Wholistic Family Fair, October 30th, Oakville