I had a very interesting client case recently and thought I’d share by asking a few questions…
- Have you ever reacted to mammalian meat (such as rabbit, beef, pork. lamb or venison)?
- Have you ever reacted to cow’s milk or milk products?
- Perhaps you’ve reacted to gelatin, glycerin or bovine extract?
If so, then you may have alpha-gal syndrome! This when your body reacts to a sugar molecule found in mammals (not birds, fish or reptiles) known as galactose-α-1,3-galactose; but you can just say galactose.
Here are some potential symptoms of alpha-gal, which typically appear 2-6 hours after eating meat or dairy products. They can be mild to severe in nature:
- Hives or itchy rash
- Vomiting or Nausea
- Severe stomach pain
- Heartburn or indigestion
- Cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
- Drop in blood pressure
- Swelling of the lips, throat, tongue, or eye lids
- Dizziness or faintness
If you would like more information, I’m always available for a consult!
Have an allergy free day!